About the Role
This is an exciting, unusual and varied position for the right applicant who will need a solid background in flexographic printing.
Novalia is a small technology company based in Cambridge, who create printed iPad-like touch controllers by combining conductive ink & traditional print technology with low-cost electronic micro-controllers for scalable, volume applications. The company have won many awards by pushing the boundaries in interactive print. We’re at an exciting stage of our development and are now looking to hire an experienced print specialist to join our dynamic team.
We’re looking for someone hands-on, passionate & curious about innovative technology applications & prepared to get their sleeves rolled up. This is a broad role requiring knowledge of flexo, screen printing and converting processes. It’d suit someone who is technically strong right across design, pre-press, plates, ink & substrates.
We do need your print expertise, but in addition you’ll need good practical skills as the role will also involve working on sophisticated R&D projects surrounding the integration of our printed sensors with complex electronics. For this you’ll have the full support of our creative and engineering teams. The role will involve benchmarking new materials & developing new testing & QA systems. Attention to detail and a methodical approach to process control will stand you in very good stead. Supporting the activities of the Chief Operating Officer, who also comes from a print background, you’ll be responsible for working closely with both internal & external teams and will need to be a solid team player; have excellent communication skills to ensure any testing programmes, production trials/runs are all set up & ready to go when required.
Responsibilities & expertise:
• Working with the Chief Operating Officer, the Chief Technology Officer, internaldesign & product teams, external materials suppliers & print subcontractors torun print production trials and runs at external printers.
• Good technical knowledge & experience of print & inline/offline convertingprocesses – typically labels/flexible-packaging based processes.
• Ability to trouble shoot and solve issues with print quality or machinery.
• A methodical approach to process control – able to measure, record & managethe pH, viscosity, drying of inks/coatings, press settings and any consumablevariables.
• Reviewing new artwork/designs, as part of a team, to ensure any technicalquestions/issues are resolved before we send to print.
• Stock/logistics management to maintain materials availability with suppliers andprint manufacturers.
Beyond print-based skills the successful applicant will need:
• A broad, practical, analytical, methodical approach to problem solving, fault-finding & testing.
• Practical skills for building prototypes / custom designs
• Attention to detail
• An eagerness to learn from, and comfortable working with experts in creative,electronics and software engineering teams to develop testing protocols &systems
• The ability to manage own work schedules and outputs for the business and itscustomers
• An organised approach to quality management, efficiency and good housekeeping
• Good report writing, spreadsheet & presentation software skills
• Articulate written & verbal communication are essential
Based in our Cambridge offices, just off the A14, the role will include with occasional travel to London office & supplier/client sites.
Salary £25K to £36K pa
Please forward your CV with a covering message to email@example.com
Whilst we’re looking for the particular skills & experience outlined for this specific role,we’re growing and are always eager to hear from any enthusiastic, potential team-members who have relevant transferable skills & experience.